Monday, March 31, 2014

Epic Salad Recipe!

College student struggles- Eating something healthy that doesn't take a long time to make. But after snooping the Whole Foods salad bar, I came up with this. It makes 2-3 servings depending on how hungry you are :) Personally, I need to eat a lot of salad to be full, especially if I do a long run.
 Ingredients-

3 chicken breasts
green and red leaf lettuce
can of black beans, drained and rinced
can of corn, drained and rinsed. (Fresh would be better, but it's not in season here)
your favorite salsa
Cindy's Avocado Vinaigrette (I got it at Whole Foods)
3 Tortillas

Directions-

1. Grill your chicken. Since I live in an apartment, I used my George Foreman grill but hey, if you have a real grill, fire it up! I didn't have to marinate my chicken so I just brushed some olive oil on the breasts and then sprinkled salt and pepper on them. Now that's I'm thinking of it, marinating the chicken in the avocado vinaigrette would probably taste great! But you can do whatever you feel like.

2. Cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces after grilling and put in a medium mixing bowl. Then take your corn and beans and mix with the chicken. That's your base!

3. Make your own chips! You can skip this part but I really think it makes the salad. All you have to do is cut up some tortillas, brush with a little bit of olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Then put them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Watch them because when they start to brown, they burn quickly. But seriously, these taste way better than store bought chips and you can control the salt and oil on them.

4. Assemble your salad. Wash some lettuce and put it at the bottom of the bowl. Then put one third of your chicken mixture on top (Or all of it if you are making this for more than yourself). Next, put some dressing on top and mix up the salad. Top with salsa and chips to taste. That's it. YUM!

Update- still working on this, but almost done, I think. I'm still shaky on the "B".


Moody shot of my school I took on Tuesday. 

My school had "kindness week" to promote being  kind, something I think we could all use a reminder of.  We had a "kindness tree" in the lobby where you had to write something nice on a leaf to hang up. This was one of my favorites. Oh FIT, you never disappoint. 
Turning 21 in style this weekend with my amazing roommate. Great way to end the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment